Sunday, July 19, 2009

An afternoon at an orphanage

Some playing outside :)

We played outside for a while. Most of the time I played a volleyball of sorts with a kickball.

Group picture, right before they performed a song for us! So amazing; they sang and danced, and we were told the main point of the song was, all things praise the Lord. I have a video I would love to show you when I get home. It was really awesome!

Visors!



View of the landscape from the orphanage

Some of the village children, watching as we were making crafts with the other children.
(don't worry, we had them come in to make something also)

One thing I have wanted to do while I am here is visit an orphanage; up until now, I have not been able to go along based on my working schedule or a vehile being too full, ect. This afternoon we went to a children's home that had about 40 children, I believe 38 is the exact number. (25 boys, 13 girls) We were able to greet all of the children when we arrived; they were lined up and waiting for our arrival. We were able to get a tour and see the dormitories, kitchen, library/schoolroom, and multi-purpose dining area. Any of you who have heard from Thomas and OAFA; I thought a lot about that ministry while visiting this orphanage today. There is just soo much need! The boy's dormitory has 13 beds for 25 boys, and the girl's room is very small with 8 beds crammed in for 13 girls. They have light bulbs in the rooms, but they do not have electricity, the boys' room had a kerosene lamp hung on the back wall, which a large smoke/burn mark which made it appear quite dangerous. The drought in Kenya has made it difficult to have water, and as the people at the church are hurting with crops and financially, they really feel that at the orphanage. They do not have so many essential things, and I know that there is nothing I am doing to help (in the large scheme of things at least). I wish I could raise support for their buildings, beds, electricity, more workers, and just dedicate my life to pour into them. There are so many needs and makes me wonder, how do you determine which ministry in which to pour your life into? The awesome thing is to know that these children, despite their unfortunate life events, is having Christ as part of their life. I hope they will all come to know Christ through the church and ministry of the home. Even if I spent all my time and dedicated my whole life to these children, making their physical and emotional lives better, I could not provide the purpose or hope that Christ ever could. He truly is the Hope and Life in a world of need-hope for today, life eternal. I guess that is my only consolation to avoid discouragement when thinking about all of the injustices in this world.

3 comments:

Miss B said...

would it be possible at all to get money to them through your aunt and uncle or their organization? and could i get it to them through you?

Unknown said...

I miss you! I'm so proud of you! Keep it up lady!

Firefly said...

so much fun!!!