Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Weekly Update

All in all, it has been a good week. I think I went through a one to two day period of extra emailing and such to avoid missing home, but now I am feeling even more at home here after that short time. Monday I went with community health, but since then I have been working with a lady named Lisa Kuyaya who does sooo much here at Tenwek. She is a super secretary, doing projects for the medical superintendent, managing all the guest services needs and arrangements, and fixing daily problems. Anyway, I just kinda shadow her and assist in the ways that I can around the office and compound. One day I helped organize and take inventory of the guest food pantry; other days I did more typical office work. On Thursday, I had to man the office on my own the best I could which was actually kinda fun. Some things I (attempt to) do are organize and reply to emails, type of minutes from medical staff meetings or reports, answer phone calls, and help to organize files. None of these things I feel like I am necessarily adequate or helping, so my main hope is that I am not too much of a bother. I really am enjoying learning so much and doing the work that I am able to do. A few things I have done this week: a Sunday night church service that was out of control but so fun (prolly shook 200-300 school children's hands), went to a Bible study with many local Tenwek workers at a permanent staff home, bought lots of gifts to bring home for all ya'll, and went to dinner at Peter & Lisa's house last night. I was purdy excited about spending time with them and being invited into Lisa's home; I also hope to become better friends with a lady who works for them named Carol (she invited me to the Bible study). Last night was super relaxed... after dinner we sat on the couch and watched NCIS and the news. This was great though, because I felt very at home, as if I was visiting with a good friend from back home. Today, as I already mentioned, I did some shopping-that was also fun, but I probably spent more than I should. After that, we went for a walk down by the river which was really gorgeous. I can't wait til the next time that we can go kick around down there. Weelll I think that is all I have to say; hopefully soon I will write a post with deeper thoughts thus far. It is hard to be in the mood to write; I would always much rather just post a bunch of pictures to tell the story of my day.
BTW: these pics are all from today :)
Nice work, Aliya!

Not a great picture of the falls, but I really like it down there- so gorgeous!

Ohhh so common :) Just thought I would share a piece of reality.

Love the motto! Very very true :)

So cute!

Note: mosquito nets over every bed in the ward.
We took some pictures in the hospital, since we didn't have any "Tenwek" pictures yet.

***Grace and Peace in Christ!
Abide in His unfailing love and depend on His complete faithfulness.






No comments: