Thursday, July 23, 2009

Today:

Today I took a break from working in the office; this was a very good thing for me. I stayed home (well after running in to work on the call and ward schedule just for a bit lol) to work with Sarah, our house help, to learn a few things in the kitchen. She has worked for families for 26 years and definately knows a thing or two about cooking- real cooking. We (she mostly) made bread and tortillas today, so that I could learn. I took about 3 pages of notes on everything we did today, plus like another 2 out of a cookbook today; Wayne definately made fun of me for this! We did a lot of other simplier tasks throughout the day, but going through the process of the bread and the tortillas was something I had never done before. Hopefully I will eventually get this down and be able to make the same delicious bread that she does! Yummy.
disclaimer, to briefly explain the culture: it is very common to have house help here. They will cook and clean for the going rate of 399 Ksh per day, this is somewhere in the range of $5. Many Kenyan families will hire like their younger relatives to be househelp.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

heather! what's going on? what's happening in your life? when are you coming back? i'm lost! :)
love you!
-Liz